The Ultimate Cocktail Sauce.
When I hear the words, “Classic, old school party foods”, a few thoughts come to mind.
I usually conjure up images of….
* Flakey, golden brown dough strips blanketing a salty mini-frankfurter dipped in spicy brown mustard..
* Crusty, mini quiche packed with flavors of fluffy eggs, sharp cheese and smokey bacon…
* Wonderful, freshly picked clams on the half shell, broiled with seasoned breadcrumbs and fresh herbs…
and of course, Classic Shrimp Cocktail.
It’s Timeless…Classic… Classy…and Simple, but is always predictable.
So how do I transform my mundane and predictable shrimp cocktail to get In the Zone?
“Fresh, local ingredients with innovative thinking.”
This cocktail sauce will provide you with a condiment that is so versatile….you will find many more choices other than just shrimp to use it with.
Replace anything that you would use ketchup for….
Put it in your meatloaf instead of tomato paste….
Add a little to that Bloody Mary….
Spoon a bit on your raw oysters….
And the list goes on and on.
Fresh, hot horseradish, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, organic lemons and the perfect steak sauce will made this an acceptable interruption to whatever you have going on…all the time.
And, not just any horseradish. I ONLY use Holy Schmitt’s Homemade Horseradish from Schmitt’s Farm in Riverhead, Long Island.
This homemade treat is processed from the same ground that it is grown in by the hands of farmers that put their hearts and souls into every delicious bottle.
Check them out at www.schmittfamilyfarm.com.
Many people will tell you that all you need is sriracha.
Forget sriracha….It has it’s time and place but will never be associated with anything, “classic”, in my recipe book nor would I ever let it touch my horseradish.
I’m not saying I don’t use it….I do, but don’t jump on the sriracha bandwagon because it’s all the rage.
Follow my recipe…tweak it a bit to taste and you will be lovin’ i
By the way, speaking of classics, I use Peter Luger’s steak sauce. You can’t get much more classic than that.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Psst…show me some love.
and on Instagram #thefooduluv
- 1 (36 ounce) bottle ketchup. The good stuff.
- 3 tablespoons Peter Luger steak sauce ( or other high quality sauce)
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ( freshly cracked)
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, cover and refrigerate for, ideally, an hour before serving so that all of the flavors and mix perfectly together.
- Serve with your favorite cocktail shrimp.
- This sauce is perfect with your favorite cocktail shrimp but it is also awesome on of salmon burgers, grilled chicken or almost anything that could use a condiment.