Buffalo Cauliflower Steaks with Blue Cheese Dressing.
Sunday is fast approaching and you need something for the big game, but are sick and tired of the same old buffalo wings and pasta.
Well fear not my friend. We are going vegetarian and running towards the goal line.
So many people think that when you say the “V” word, “Vegetarian”, you are talking about limp beans, flavorless tofu, steamed broccoli and boring…boring…boring selections.
Not here my friends, I wouldn’t do that to you.
Personally, I’m not the biggest football fan, even though the sport is huge in New York…it’s just not for me.
Yeah, I’ve been to a game or two but it just doesn’t float my boat, however, the culinary delights before, during and after a game is what I am all about.
Tailgate grub is amazing.
In the parking lot before the game is where you find the true heroes.
The real superstars and the finest foods around.
You’ve fumbled before with boring wings..
You’ve been sacked by soggy pizza…
Hell, your chili has even been intercepted before the players even got to the game.
I know your ready to throw in the flag…but not just yet.
The coach has been called in…..
I turn over my clipboard and it reads the secret play that will lead you to a silly victory dance…..
My Buffalo Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing gives you all of the flavor of the wings but without the fat, cholesterol and real guilt that the chicken wings cause.
Cauliflower is fresh and in season now, so it’s the perfect time to make this dish.
It’s simple, full of heat and flavor and won’t give you salmonella.
Picture this scenario….
It’s almost half-time…
Your team is trailing by 15 points…
You’re starving then all of a sudden this beautiful plate get’s put under your face.
Yes..it’s still cauliflower, but it’s loaded with heat, pow, baam and could be good luck for your team if you try it.
Say whatever you have to in order for them to eat it and I promise, they will get in a huddle and ask for more.
Once they take one bite, they will be hooked and like me, not give a pig’s skin about football…unless there is some sweet grilling going on in the parking lot.
Grill on and have fun!
- 2 large head of cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Hellman's mayo
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oiled grill to about 425
- Cut the off the ends off the cauliflower so that the cauliflower head is flat.
- Slice cross sections and lay them on a plate.
- Rub 3 tablespoons of the canola oil all over the cauliflower, both sides.
- Sprinkle with cayenne, parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (while you are grilling, in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter and mix in the Frank's Hot Sauce. Stir until the liquid is smooth and set aside off heat.)
- Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Drizzle with buttery hot sauce then blue cheese dressing and serve hot.
- In a medium bowl, fold blue cheese and buttermilk together with a fork until the mixture is chunky yet thick like a shake. Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and garlic powder until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the blue cheese dressing up to a day ahead for maximum flavor.