Creamy Cheese Tortellini and Spinach Soup. Welcome to Autumn Crock Pot Creations.
Ok, I give in.
The Summer is totally over….it’s time to to man up!
It’s time to put away the tiki torches…
And it’s time to take out the Crock Pot baby…’cause we be sloooooowwwww cookin’!
( ok, that sounded cooler in my head than when I read it)
There’s a smell in the air that is all Fall. Winter is on it’s way but we have 3 more weeks until that stuff happens.
The smokey scent of fireplaces being lit, the smell of your favorite wool sweater as you pull it over your head, that familiar smell of musty leaves that you swear you haven’t smelled in ages and then there’s the air.
There is something unique about the crisp Autumn air.
Whatever it is, I accept it and I embrace it.
Someone told me about a variation of this dish a long time ago and since then I’ve cooked it a number of times and with much trial and error, adding this and that, I’ve finally made it the way I love it.
“There’s Lot’s of complexity in it’s simplicity.” me.
In this pot of lovin’, we have a simple brew going on.
The flavors of the cumin, the creamy cheese and the sweet butter mix around and around like whirlpool of flavor that you can’t wait to get trapped in.
When preparing almost any meal…I preach about the power of fresh pasta, but this is the rare occasion where you are best off using a great quality frozen tortellini.
The key is that you keep it frozen until you are ready to use it and add it to the pot 20 minutes before you are ready to serve.
It comes out….perfect!
As my little guy would say…. “Say Mani-feek” or if you don’t speak the same language… C’est Magnifique.
Keep checking back daily and perhaps you will find more of my Crock-Pot creations and be sure to…
Spread the Love!
Like me at…..
Twitter: NYFoodCritic and FoodULuv
and on Instagram #thefooduluv
- 1 large package fresh spinach (11 ounces)
- Chicken Broth ( 48 ounce container)
- 1- 14.5 ounce can of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1-small Onion (diced finely)
- 6- large white mushrooms (Sliced)
- 2- Tbsp Butter ( salted)
- 1- tbsp tsp cumin
- 1- tbsp dried oregano
- 1- tsp garlic powder
- 1- 8 Ounce Package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (cubed)
- 1- bag of frozen tortellini
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- In a medium size bowl add 1 cup of the chicken broth, cubed cream cheese chunks and microwave for 1 minute. Remove, whisk mixture until smooth, no lumps. Set aside.
- Put Crock Pot on low heat for 8 hours.
- Add spinach, cream cheese broth mixture, diced tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, butter, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and the remainder of the chicken broth.
- Stir occasionally, every hour if possible, if you can't..no worries.
- 1/2 hour before cooking time is over, stir in the frozen cheese tortellini and cover.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- This is a wonderful dish for a chilly night and best eaten on the first day, just because on day 2 the tortellini will absorb the liquid like a sponge.
- Don't forget to pay attention to the step where you heat and mix the cream cheese with the broth because if you don't the end result will look like curdled milk in your coffee cup.