Grilled Balsamic Portobello Mushroom.
I love veggies, but let’s get honest shall we?
There are only so many salads you can have in a week without growing whiskers and long ears.
Only so many stalks of celery…
Only so many carrots…
Only so much lettuce…
Enter the Mushroom.
Perfect for meatless Monday, vegetarians or for any other reason, portobello mushrooms are my go to ‘shroom when I know that I have a busy day ahead of me and I plan on grilling some hearty and healthy food after a busy day away from home.
If you have one of those set it and forget it type of days coming up and you don’t want to break out the crock-pot, this is the recipe for you.
As an appetizer, a side or a full entree, this marinated piece of Heaven will be on your playlist for a long time.
This marinated mushroom will really change the way you think about this dirty veggie.
Instead of thinking about mushrooms as a real culinary bore and downer…you’ll now remember it as the fungi at the party,
Fungi…FUN GUY ?
Really people….you’re gonna make me work for this hard for this blog post?
After properly cleaning the portobello, you are going to marinate it for a couple of hours in a bag loaded with zest, zoom and seasonings so common place….you are going to kick yourself for not having this meal on speed dial.
“Hello..It’s me. I’d like to call in an order for AWESOMESNESS!”
After you remove it from it’s slumber, you grill it, load it with cheese and then and only then you are given the secret directions to Flavor Town, by non other than Guy Fieri himself. Red Camaro, bleached hair and all that cooky stuff that the whippersnappers these days are doing.
So kids, that’s it.
This recipe is easy, different and seriously delicious, so enjoy!
Spread the Love!
Like me at…..
and on Instagram @ thefooduluv
- 2 Large portobello mushooms ( dusted, washed and dried carefully)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper
- In a large ziploc type bag add all of the ingredients.
- ( except 1/3 of the balsamic vinegar which will be used for the glaze)
- Close close bag tightly and ( how do I say..) massage the bag gently so that all of the ingredients mix perfectly.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours up to 24 hours.reserved and heat on low until reduced to 50%)
- In a small skillet, take the 1/3 amount of balsamic vinegar that you have
- 15 min prior to grilling, preheat until your grill reaches 400 degrees f.
- Place mushrooms (cap side down) on grill for about 4 minutes with the grill top down.
- Flip mushrooms for another 4 minutes and close grill.
- Finally, flip mushrooms open side up, load on cheese, turn off heat and close the grill's lid and cook for another 4 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve on a bed of mesclun lettuce and drizzle with balsamic glaze reduction.